Monday, December 29, 2014

Headed to Adelaide...

Christmas in Beachport was really nice.  I sat in front of the general store, sipped coffee, messed around on the web and sympathized with everyone who came and foubd the store to be closed.  I talked to several of the locals and joined in a search for a missing dog, for a little while, at least.....

Robe:  Awesome, huh?
By 1700 though, I was thinking it was time to move on.  The town of Robe was only 43km away, and even though there was a killer headwind and it was properly cold, it was possibly the easiest 43km to date; no elevation at all.  Robe was like Beachport: shut tightly for Christmas day, and I was resigned to meusli for dinner. I was scoping out some campsites when I saw a young couple come around the corner carrying bags of take-out food.  A little Q&A got me to a Malaysian restaurant, warm and inviting, open and serving just around the corner.  Oddly enough, it was called "Don's Kitchen", so maybe the owner s a convert or something.   Three cheers for Muhammadan restaurateurs on Christmas day!

So I had a great meal and two beers and paid the 20% open-on-Christmas surcharge rather willingly.  The AUS dollar is cheap nowadays anyway.  I swagged out on a deck platform behind the bowling club, right next to the sea, and I listened to the crashing waves all night....

Boxing Day was bright and gorgeous, and I spent it just wandering around Robe and remarking what a wonderful little town it is and how glad I was that I had moved on from Beachport.  Good coffee, the ocean, plenty of free wifi, free showers.  Kinda hard to beat.  I even went swimming in the (cold) ocean, out to the swimming platform and back.  Shrinkage!

I regretfully left robe at about 1700 and rode an even >easier< 44km into Kingston, where I would pick up the bus to Adelaide.  I spent the better part of the ride calculating mileage, and I realized that if I had gotten started when I got off the ferry in Melbourne, I could have easily cycled the entire way into Adelaide and not have had to take the bus.  Oh well; the bus was an experience in itself....