Wednesday, January 21, 2015

One big, long wreck scene...

That's what the Stuart Highway is.  As I rode south from Coober Pedy I must have seen enough car bits to make a whole rental fleet.  Headlamps, fenders, bumpers, back seats (not joking!), various connectors and nondescript plastic and rubber shreds.  I'm guessing that a large portion of automobile sales in Australia are replacements for losses on the Stuart Highway.

That car wrecked here just so I could get the  number plate!
Not that South Australia or the Northern Territory are unique, mind you.  In Queensland I saw entire wrecked cars and caravans, pushed off the side of the road after a wreck and abandoned.  Mechanical roadkill, left to rot with the 'roos and the cows.

Which is great if you're looking to collect number plates.  I found one on the way to Uluru that proves to any doubters that I have been through the Outback, and the first day out of Coober Pedy I removed one from an abandoned hulk I came across at kilometer 120. From roadkill to trip trophy. South Australia; got it!

I did my first imperial century that day, by the way.  165km (102+ miles) in one day.  A good day....