Thursday, April 6, 2017

Putting up in Pentland


Left Charters Towers and the comfy bosom of the Royal Private Hotel at about 1430: somewhat earlier than I had planned, and a good thing too.  The weather was great with a gentle tailwind and not too hot, but I’m just not in as good shape as I was last time I started this, and I had a hard time of it.  Still, I made 50km before swagging out at a ranch gate.  Some guy drove thru the gate after I was already in the bag and stopped to talk to me a while.  Seemed like a nice guy and he told me there was no problem with me staying there, but I have to admit it made me a little nervous.  I don't really want people knowing where I am at night: you never know when a couple of blokes will be having a few stubbies and decide it would be good fun to roll the American guy camping down the road.  Still, I was really tired and it was already dark.  I slept fine.

Next day was long and tough: 60km into Pentland.  I intended to keep going from there, but by the time I got there I was beat.  Instead of moving on I had a nice long conversation with the guy that runs the shop/post office.  He introduced me to the term “dole blodger” which is loosely defined as anyone who is 1)on welfare and 2)structures his life such that he doesn’t have to work.  Guy told me that 1/3 of the town were on the dole, and since Pentland is so far out the social workers that are supposed to monitor them never make it out there.  So the system just perpetuates….


Anyway.  I stayed that night behind the Pentland Hotel, which is a wonderful little place; well managed with a lot of resources.  They let me swag out behind for no charge, and I was able to get a shower, an order of hot salty chips (fries) and a few beers.  The caretaker is a gem, and she stuck my water in her freezer overnight so I was able to launch from Pentland with a ton of ice and good prospects,  Hard to complain about that!

2 comments:

  1. AND you are off!!! Have fun and keep the blogs coming! Love reading them!

    ReplyDelete