Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Being inventive

You see a lot of junk on the side of the road as you travel.  Being as I'm - shall we say - frugal, I often find myself glancing at something and thinking "Hmm.  What could I use that for?"   For three days before Sue Phillips gave me the AWESOME piece of foam that has comforted me since Mooloolaba, I was scoping out every shred of castoff car plastic and junk for some insulation.  The foam is better.

One time up in Queensland I spotted up a small piece of steel on the shoulder of the road; a circular disk about 2 inches in diameter with four boltholes in it.  I stared at it for a few seconds thinking "there *has* to be something I can do with that....".  I actually picked it up and carried it for two days, thinking something would come to me.  Nothing ever did and I tossed it away, but you get the picture.

Anyway, I fell victim to my forgetfulness two days ago and left my US->AUS plug adapters in a coffee shop in Swansea.  I was pretty torqued about that, because that meant I'd have to buy new ones in Hobart, where I am now.  Money wasted.  But something happened....

Like this one....
I was coasting around a corner on the A3 about 20km out of Hobart, when I spotted something shiny; an electric water kettle.  I donno how it got there, but there it was, complete with cord.  A cord with a plug.  An Aussie plug.  I stopped and ignored the roaring traffic, whipped out my knife and cut away the last 10 inches of the cord.

This morning, as my Chromebook burned through its last few electrons, I went to work. Voila; a ghetto plug adapter!  Works great!

Works great!
And to think I did that with a cast-off plug from a piece of junk I found on the side of the highway on a rainy day, in a backpacker hostel with a Gerber multitool and some duct tape.

What could possibly go wrong?   :-D