Sunday, December 7, 2014

Eye Protection: gotta have it.

Nice place to be stuck, if you
gotta be stuck somewhere....
I'm stuck in Launceston because of weather.  Crazy high winds that are precisely 180 degrees out from my direction of travel.  And it's properly cold with guaranteed rain.  This is summer.  What's up with this?

Launceston's not such a bad place to be tho.  It's a nice little town with a tidy and interesting downtown pedestrian shopping mall, and there's not one, but two providers of free wifi in town.  There's a professional bicycle race on today, and the local cinema is showing Interstellar at 2030.  Could be worse.

Yesterday on my short ride from Buck and Jude's place into town - about 15km - I was reminded of the basic need for eye protection while riding a bike.  Of course, it's sunny and bright most of the time, so I wear sunglasses - tinted safety goggles, actually - and there's never even a debate about it.  Yesterday tho, it was all overcast and I found that I couldn't really see very well with the tinted goggles on.  I stopped a few km from Buck and Jude's place to take them off, and for a few seconds I thought I might just go without glasses altogether; ride bareback, as it were.  I wisely decided to take the small effort required and dig out my clear goggles.

I was coming into town on a nice long downhill, and while i was zooming along at about 40km/hr I saw a small dot in the distance. The dot got bigger and bigger very quickly and then SMACKED into the lens covering my right eye and slid off to the side.  I donno what manner of bug it was,  but it was big and it left guts on my goggles.  If I hadn't been wearing them, it probably wouldn't have turned out well for me.

$5.95 safety goggles from Home Depot, ladies and gentlemen.  Money well spent.  Don't ride a bike without em!